Conversion tracking is a very commanding and free tool in Google AdWords account that tracks the clicks on your ad and identifies what customers do after clicking on your ad. Conversion tracking helps you to record an online purchase or a call to your business from a mobile phone.
The Need to Track Conversions
To know whether your PPC campaign is actually working or not, it is imperative to set up conversion tracking.The main purpose of running a PPC campaign is to generate clicks converting them in to leads which for ecommerce businesses means revenue. Hence tracking those conversions and leads becomes very important. You can optimise your Google AdWords account to improve the performance of your PPC campaign by setting up conversion tracking. One of the best steps to save money and improve ROI is to track your AdWords conversions.
Requirements for Setting up Conversion Tracking
There are different types of conversion tracking. You can track purchases, sign ups, and other website conversions. You can track calls from ads, track calls to a Google forwarding number on your website, and track phone number clicks on a mobile website. We will be highlighting the steps for setting up conversion tracking for websites. Here are the few requirements for setting up website conversion tracking:
An AdWords Account
The first requirement is to have Google AdWords account. If you don’t have one yet, visit Google Adwords to sign up now.
Place the conversion tracking code also called ‘tag’ in the HTML <body> of your website.
Steps for Setting up AdWords Conversion Tracking
Follow the steps given below to set up AdWords Conversion Tracking:
1.Sign in your AdWords account.
2.Click the Tools tab, and select Conversions from the drop-down menu as shown in picture below:
3.Third step is to click the +Conversion button.
4.Select the source of the conversions you would like to track. As you are going to add this tracking code to our website, select the “Website” option.
5.Enter a conversion name that you can easily recognise and track in your reports. For example, “Newsletter sign-up”. Click “Done”.
6. Next comes the Value field. Select “Don’t assign a value” and click Done.
7. Click Count. Select whether to count all or unique conversions. “All” is best for sales; “unique” is best for leads. Click Done.
8. Click Conversion windows.Choose how long you’d like to track conversions. The window can be as short as one week or as long as 90 days. Click Done.
9. Click Category. Choose a category that best fits this conversion action. This will help you evaluate similar conversions in your reports. Click Done.
10. Leave out the optimizations it is if you don’t want to optimize bids for this conversion action.Click Save and continue.
11. Save conversion tracking code as shown below and click Done.
12. Install your tag. To install, copy the code in the box below and paste it between the <body></body> tags of the page you’d like to track. After this, you can check the tracking status of your installed tracking code whether it’s working or not.
Following these 12 easy steps, you will be able to set up your Google AdWords conversion tracking. If you have found this guide helpful, spread the word so that others can also get benefit from it.